Friday, September 30, 2011

Blog Assignment #6

The Networked Student

Book of Google

In Wendy Drexler's video, "The Networked Student", a typical school day in the life of a 21st century student is featured.  Instead of carrying an over-sized book  bag filled with outdated textbooks, this student utilizes the internet to leverage the power of social media tools.  These tools in turn shape the learning path and process for the student.

This process is powered by connectivism, a learning theory that suggests knowledge is distributed across connections.  In the digital age, social media found on the internet provides teachers and students to connect with one another and help shape society's collective learning experience.

A continuing theme is seen in this video as well.  It would seem to me that in order to assist students in making their own connections, teachers need to be connected as well.  A teacher's role will not become obsolete because of the increasing use of PLNs by students, but rather they must take on and fulfill a variety of new modern and contemporary roles. Students must still have resources available to them to learn how to assess and validate information they find to ensure their own reliability.

Upon watching this bright young lady's video, I feel that she is more than just a few steps ahead of me in enhancing her education.  I never would have thought it possible to interact with a scientist from the United States let alone one from another country.  This has been a dream of mine!  My problem is time,   as soon as I have a little bit of extra time to sit down and devote my attention to something other than kids or schoolwork, something almost always tears me away.  After seeing how organized this student is, and I LOVE organization, I have been motivated to make a resolution to devote at least thirty minutes a day into developing my own PLN.  

2 comments:

  1. Ashley,


    I think it is so important to realize that teachers ARE NOT becoming obsolete! So, I am glad that you do - a few of your classmates seem to think that teachers are being degraded by becoming "guides" and "filters." On the contrary, I think that teachers are even more important now that information is so readily available. We have to be there to filter information and guide the students to find the best possible way to research topics and expand their PLNs. (Wasn't the PLN impressive! - puts me to shame!)

    Thanks,

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Ashley!
    I really enjoyed reading your post! You're a very talented writer! I completely agree with what you (and Rebekah) said about teachers roles not becoming obsolete! We as teachers need to be there for our students. Whether this is in a classroom or through a computer! Also, the young lady's video put me to shame as well! Considering that she was only in the 7th grade in the video, her PLN was absolutely amazing!

    Thanks for sharing,

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete