Friday, October 21, 2011

Blog Assignment #9

What Mr. Joe McClung Learned in 2008-2009

When reading Joe McClung's reflective blog from the 2008-2009 school year, many of the lessons he learned in his first year of teaching struck a cord with me.  Some of these ideas are those I never imagined would be an issue when the day comes that I will step into my own classroom.  Knowing about some of these challenges (as I am sure there are more yet to be discovered) ahead of time gives me a little bit of an idea how to mentally prepare for that day.  One important lesson learned that McClung discusses is the importance to be flexible.  As a mom I struggle with this on a daily basis with my own children.  I often get frustrated if naps aren't taken at a specific time everyday if we don't make it to a destination right on time because of some confrontation that took place before we left the house.  It has taken me some time to understand that the more stringent a schedule your kids are on, the more uptight they will be.  It never occurred to me that this same concept applies to the classroom.  I have always had this vision that classrooms run like a well oiled machine; order and punctuality  prevails in a classroom. After reading McClung's blog, I realize that when dealing with children, especially small children, delays are to be expected and things may not go as planned.  The key is to know how to improvise and work around these small road blocks.  I find McClung's sarcasm towards drama in the workplace to be very amusing.  Though we are adults,we are still human beings and drama in the workplace is inevitable if not unavoidable.  His solution for resolving any problems created by drama is to communicate with those who have caused it and perhaps build a friendship out of it.  The most important lesson I feel should be taken to heart is to always listen to your students.  As expressed by Jed Baker in his book No More Meltdowns and by McClung himself, it is important to take interest in our student's lives before respect can be earned which leads to a healthy teacher student relationship.  Children with behavior problems in classrooms are expected to change their ways automatically without considering what could be causing this disruptive behavior.  Often times it is the adults that need to change their behavior toward the child.  Listening to students and getting to know them is a big key in correcting and maybe even preventing undesirable behavior.


a calendar




What Mr. Joe McClung Learned in 2010-2011

It was very interesting to read McClung's blog three years after he posted his first reflective blog and see how he applied everything he learned in his first year in education to his current methods of teaching.  Some new lessons he had learned, however, stuck out that I pondered further.  Two of these were connected to one another, he says not to expect others to as excited about change as you are and to not be afraid to be an outsider.  Not many people are susceptible to change and are afraid of it.  Having grown up in a military environment, change is all I have known.  I love change, I embrace it, in fact I cannot stand when something has been the same way for any given period of time.  In the past my patience with people who duck and dodge any kind of change has been almost non existent.  I have found however, that becoming irritated and edgy with those that cannot accept change accomplishes nothing.  If a little bit of patience is exhibited and time is given to people to fully grasp the idea of whatever is being changed, opinions can eventually be turned the other way.  In accordance with this idea, McClung also urges young teachers to not be afraid to be an outsider.  We have all been in a situation where we behave like a bunch of sheep and follow the crowd in fear of sticking out like a sore thumb.  Who is that really being true to though?  When you know what you believe in and stick firmly to those beliefs, people may not like you but they will sure have an ample amount of respect for you.  And personally, I would prefer respect over popularity any day.  I also feel this is the only way new and exciting ideas are brought about, people not afraid to go against the common belief.     

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You're insight on Mr. McClung's tips is wonderful, especially on embracing change!

    ReplyDelete