Sunday, October 2, 2011

C4K #1

The first blog I had the privilege to read belonged to a young man in New Zealand.  He is currently in year 8 in school and from what I could gather this is equivalent to the 7th or 8th grade in America.  Ilalio participated in a Multiple Intelligence Test and shared his results in his blog.  His strengths were interpersonal skills and visual/spacial skills.  He said he would like to work on and become better at linguistic, kinaesthetic, naturalistic, musical, and logical skills.  I explained to him that it was very good to have strong interpersonal skills.  It is important to be able to comfortably communicate with other people and even strangers. Although he had obvious strengths, the margin was very narrow between all skills which indicates to me that Ilalio has many intelligences.

The second blog I read also belonged to a student from New Zealand.  Shontal expressed her delight in having the opportunity to participate in A.F.L. Kiwi Kick.  This program is designed for students to learn about and play football.  Football in New Zealand is not at all like what Americans are used to viewing.  After watching highlights from a few games on YouTube, I think I might prefer watching the game being played in this manner.  I told Shontal this and also expressed my delight in her enthusiasm to partake in a physical activity.

The third blog I viewed was exceptionally special to me as it was something local children are participating in.  The St. Elmo explorers created a video in which each student displayed their own art project that helped them realize the value of difference among people.  I especially liked Jenna's bright and colorful self portrait she drew of herself.  Her difference from other people is that she is sensitive which accentuated by the many hearts she drew in her portrait.  I told Jenna that being sensitive is a quality to be proud of possessing.  With this she is more capable of understanding and appreciating all types of people and love the differences that she learned about through this project.

The last blog I read was a 17 year old's from Moscow.  Among her eight lessons in school, Liza is also learning to play the piano and guitar.  I encouraged her to keep up with her musical lessons.  Being a musician myself, I told her that music can help clear thoughts and make some processes a little easier.  She is also learning to speak Russian and English, which I find amazing she has the discipline to study both at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley,

    Wow! I am impressed by what you recorded about your assigned children! Very, very well done! Keep it up - i am glad to see that you are getting so much out of this part of EDM310!

    Thanks,

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete